- HeinOnline Databases
- U.S. Statutes at Large
- Search by Public Law Number in U.S. Statutes at Large
Search by Public Law Number in U.S. Statutes at Large
To search for a public law number in the U.S. Statutes at Large database, use the Public Law Number field in the Advanced Search option at the top of the page.
Note: Public Law Numbers may be listed in 3 different formats, depending upon the date the public law was passed.
- Laws passed during the 1st-56th Congress were identified using chapter numbers and the session of congress.
Example: Chapter 5, 2 Congress
You can also search using the Full Text tab at the top of the main page. For this type of searching you would type public_law_number:”Chapter 5, 2 Congress” and hit search.
- Laws passed during the 57th-84th Congress were assigned public law numbers, and thus were identified using the chapter number/session of congress and the public law number. When searching for a public law number during this time, you can search by the Public Law Number or by the Chapter/Congress.
Example: Public Law 62-5/Chapter 5, 62 Congress
In Advanced Search, you can use any of these options:
- Laws passed from the 85th Congress and forward have been identified using only public law numbers.
Example: Public Law 105-26
Was this article helpful?
- Bold Matching Text
- Language Facet in the Law Journal Library
- Law Journal Library Quick Reference Guide
- Email Selected Catalog Search Results
- How to Search in the Sources of Compiled Legislative Histories Database
- How to Search in National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws
- How To Search in World Constitutions Illustrated
- How to Search for Restatements in the American Law Institute Library
- Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing Tools in HeinOnline
- How to Use Boosting in a Search Query
- How to Search the Supplement Volumes of the US Code to Determine if Changes Were Made Since the Last Bound Volume
- U.S. Code Citation Locator
- How Do I Search for a Congressional Hearing?
- How to Search in Subject Compilations of State Laws
- Federal Rules of Evidence
- Five Things You Can Do in Less Than 15 Seconds in HeinOnline
- How to Find a Preamble in the Federal Register
- Infinite Scrolling
- HeinOnline Law Journal Library Indexed by Google Scholar
- Congressional Hearings Quick Finder
- Refining and Building Search Queries
- Search by Rollcall Vote
- Search by Bill Number
- Navigating HeinOnline Databases
- Catalog Searching
- Searching from the Welcome Page
- Citations on a Page
- HeinOnline Welcome Page
- Top Tips Every Researcher Should Know
- Getting Started in HeinOnline
- Searching 101
- Tim’s Tricks
- Advanced Search Syntax
- HeinOnline Comprehensive User’s Guide
- Using Syntax and Field Searching in the Main Full Text Search Bar
- Can I search in a foreign language in IFLP?
- What is the difference between the two search options, Search IFLP Metadata and Search IFLP Print Edition?
- How to Search for Chapters Within Collections of Essays in IFLP
- How to Search by a Foreign Language in IFLP
- How to Search by Jurisdiction in IFLP
- Searching for Foreign Law in IFLP
- Search by Author in IFLP
- Searching 101
- Search All United Nations Publications
- I see a citation to another work (such as the Federal Register, Statutes at Large or CFR), how can I view the cited material?
- Search by Congress Session/Number in U.S. Statutes at Large
- Search for a Resolution in U.S. Statutes at Large
- Search for a Treaty by Nation in U.S. Statutes at Large
- Search for an Indian Treaty by Tribe in U.S. Statutes at Large
- Search by the Official Title of a Public Law in U.S. Statutes at Large
- U.S. Statutes at Large
- Search for a Member of Congress by Name in U.S. Congressional Documents
- How do I refine a search in the U.S. Congressional Documents?
- Where can I find help for using HeinOnline?
- How do I Search and Use Boolean Operators?
- How to find a Public Law Prior to the 57th Congress?
- How do I Search for a specific date, page number, and term in the Congressional Record?
- Search by Statutes at Large Citation in the United States Code
- Search by the Title Number in United States Code
- Search by the U.S. Code Edition