- HeinOnline Databases
- U.S. Statutes at Large
- Search by Public Law Number in U.S. Statutes at Large
Search by Public Law Number in U.S. Statutes at Large
To search for a public law number in the U.S. Statutes at Large database, use the Public Law Number field in the Advanced Search option at the top of the page.
Note: Public Law Numbers may be listed in 3 different formats, depending upon the date the public law was passed.
- Laws passed during the 1st-56th Congress were identified using chapter numbers and the session of congress.
Example: Chapter 5, 2 Congress
You can also search using the Full Text tab at the top of the main page. For this type of searching you would type public_law_number:”Chapter 5, 2 Congress” and hit search.
- Laws passed during the 57th-84th Congress were assigned public law numbers, and thus were identified using the chapter number/session of congress and the public law number. When searching for a public law number during this time, you can search by the Public Law Number or by the Chapter/Congress.
Example: Public Law 62-5/Chapter 5, 62 Congress
In Advanced Search, you can use any of these options:
- Laws passed from the 85th Congress and forward have been identified using only public law numbers.
Example: Public Law 105-26
Was this article helpful?
- Searching 101 and PathFinder: Customer Training (Video)
- How to Search in HeinOnline (Video)
- How to Search in HeinOnline
- One-Box Searching (Video)
- One-Box Searching
- How to Use the Venn Diagram Search (Video)
- How to Search Across Multiple Databases
- How to Search Across Multiple Databases (Video)
- How to Locate a Title in HeinOnline
- How to Locate a Title in HeinOnline (Video)
- How to Manage Your HeinOnline Search History
- How to Manage Your HeinOnline Search History (Video)
- How to Use Fuzzy Searching
- How to Save Search Queries in MyHein
- Frequently Asked Questions for Short-Term Subscribers
- How to Locate the Text of a Public Law Using Its Popular Name in U.S. Statutes at Large
- How To Locate the Text of a Public Law Using the U.S. Federal Legislative History Database
- How to Locate the Text of a Public Law Using Its Popular Name (Video)
- Availability Facet in the Law Journal Library
- Venn Diagram Search
- Using Proximity Connectors
- Searching for a Digital Object Identifier (DOI) Number in HeinOnline
- Proximity Searching Using w/
- Bold Matching Text
- Language Facet in the Law Journal Library
- Law Journal Library Quick Reference Guide
- Email Selected Catalog Search Results
- How to Search in the Sources of Compiled Legislative Histories Database
- How to Search in National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws
- How To Search in World Constitutions Illustrated
- How to Search for Restatements in the American Law Institute Library
- Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing Tools in HeinOnline
- How to Use Boosting in a Search Query
- How to Search the Supplement Volumes of the US Code to Determine if Changes Were Made Since the Last Bound Volume
- U.S. Code Citation Locator
- How Do I Search for a Congressional Hearing?
- How to Search in Subject Compilations of State Laws
- Federal Rules of Evidence
- Five Things You Can Do in Less Than 15 Seconds in HeinOnline
- How to Find a Preamble in the Federal Register
- Infinite Scrolling
- HeinOnline Law Journal Library Indexed by Google Scholar
- How to Use the Congressional Hearings Quick Finder (Video)
- How to Refine and Build Search Queries (Video)
- How to Search by Rollcall Vote (Video)
- How to Search by Bill Number (Video)
- Navigating HeinOnline Databases (Video)
- HeinOnline Welcome Page (Video)
- Top Tips Every Researcher Should Know
- Getting Started in HeinOnline
- Searching 101
- Using Advanced Search Syntax
- Using Syntax and Field Searching with One-Box Search
- Can I search in a foreign language in IFLP?
- What is the difference between the two search options, Search IFLP Metadata and Search IFLP Print Edition?
- How to Search for Chapters Within Collections of Essays in IFLP
- How to Search by a Foreign Language in IFLP
- How to Search by Jurisdiction in IFLP
- Searching for Foreign Law in IFLP
- Search by Author in IFLP