- HeinOnline Database Functions, Structure & Technical Information
- How to Use Fuzzy Searching
How to Use Fuzzy Searching
Use fuzzy searches, which are based on an “edit distance” algorithm, to search for terms similar in spelling to another term. Like proximity searches, fuzzy searches use the tilde symbol as an operator.
Similarity Search (No Parameters):
To search for a term similar in spelling to the word “rode,” use the fuzzy search rode~. This search will find terms similar in spelling, such as “ride” or “node.”
Similarity Search (With Parameters):
Specify a similarity parameter for a better-refined search. The similarity parameter value is between 0 and 1. The closer the value is to 1, the higher the similarity will be. If not otherwise specified, the default parameter is 0.5.
For example, to search for terms more similar to the word “rode” than what the default parameter of 0.5 produces, try rode~0.8.
Was this article helpful?
- One-Box Searching (Video)
- One-Box Searching
- HeinOnline Database Title Listings
- How to Use the Venn Diagram Search (Video)
- How to Use ScholarCheck
- How to Navigate within Titles, Volumes, Sections, and Pages
- How to Search Across Multiple Databases
- How to Search Across Multiple Databases (Video)
- How to Locate a Title in HeinOnline
- How to Locate a Title in HeinOnline (Video)
- How to Manage Your HeinOnline Search History
- How to Manage Your HeinOnline Search History (Video)
- How to Navigate within Titles, Volumes, Sections, and Pages (Video)
- How to Save Search Queries in MyHein
- Frequently Asked Questions for Short-Term Subscribers
- How to Locate the Text of a Public Law Using Its Popular Name in U.S. Statutes at Large
- How To Locate the Text of a Public Law Using the U.S. Federal Legislative History Database
- How to Locate the Text of a Public Law Using Its Popular Name (Video)
- Does Chrome Support Referring URLs?
- Availability Facet in the Law Journal Library
- Venn Diagram Search
- Using Proximity Connectors
- Searching for a Digital Object Identifier (DOI) Number in HeinOnline
- Proximity Searching Using w/
- Bold Matching Text
- Language Facet in the Law Journal Library
- What is the EZproxy stanza for HeinOnline?
- Law Journal Library Quick Reference Guide
- Email Selected Catalog Search Results
- How to Search in the Sources of Compiled Legislative Histories Database
- How to Search in National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws
- How To Search in World Constitutions Illustrated
- How to Search for Restatements in the American Law Institute Library
- CASA Enabled in HeinOnline
- Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing Tools in HeinOnline
- How to Use Boosting in a Search Query
- How to Search the Supplement Volumes of the US Code to Determine if Changes Were Made Since the Last Bound Volume
- U.S. Code Citation Locator
- How Do I Search for a Congressional Hearing?
- How to Search in Subject Compilations of State Laws
- Are the URLs in HeinOnline persistent?
- Does HeinOnline support Open URL resolvers such as SFX?
- Is Endnote compatible with HeinOnline?
- PDF shows up as a placeholder icon in browser. How can I fix this?
- When I download a PDF article it results in a blank page and/or blank screen. How can I fix this?
- Federal Rules of Evidence
- How to Construct a URL to a Specific Citation Using an Open URL Resolver
- Five Things You Can Do in Less Than 15 Seconds in HeinOnline
- How to Find a Preamble in the Federal Register
- Infinite Scrolling
- HeinOnline Law Journal Library Indexed by Google Scholar
- Congressional Hearings Quick Finder (Video)
- Refining and Building Search Queries (Video)
- Search by Rollcall Vote (Video)
- Search by Bill Number (Video)
- Downloading, Printing, and Sharing Documents (Video)
- Navigating HeinOnline Databases (Video)
- Catalog Searching (Video)
- Searching from the Welcome Page (Video)
- HeinOnline Welcome Page (Video)