- HeinOnline Database Functions, Structure & Technical Information
- How to Search by Author
How to Search by Author
HeinOnline indexes author names as they appear in the original copy of a title/article. Some author names may contain middle initials, only the first initial of their first name, or both first and middle initials. An author could be displayed in the index in one or more of the following formats:
- Last Name, First Name (ex: Cheffins, Brian)
- Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial (ex: Franck, Susan D.)
- Last Name, First Initial, Middle Initial (ex: Robertson, A. H.)
- Last Name, First Initial (ex: Miller, S.)
- Last Name, First Initial, Middle Name (ex: Miller, S. Elizabeth)
You can search for authors multiple ways.
From the Welcome Page, click the Advanced Search link located beneath the main search bar. Use the Author field and enter the author’s name, then click Search.
Name order does not matter: Paul Finkelman and Finkelman, Paul will return the same list of results.
You can also enter the Law Journal Library, select Advanced Search and use the Author/Creator field:
Search for book authors using the Catalog Search tab from anywhere in HeinOnline. Click the Advanced Catalog Search link beneath the search bar and enter the author’s name in the Author field and click Search:
Was this article helpful?
- How to Email a PDF of a Document (Video)
- How to Email a PDF Link to a Document in HeinOnline
- One-Box Searching (Video)
- One-Box Searching
- HeinOnline Database Title Listings
- Nomos: American Society for Political and Legal Philosophy
- How to Use ScholarCheck
- Australian Guide to Legal Citations (AGLC)
- Using PathFinder to Browse
- Using PathFinder to Search
- PathFinder: HeinOnline’s Multi-Level Discipline Taxonomy
- How to Navigate within Titles, Volumes, Sections, and Pages
- How to Research the Career of a Senator
- How to Research the Career of a Senator (Video)
- How to Navigate within Titles, Volumes, Sections, and Pages (Video)
- How to Use Fuzzy Searching
- Frequently Asked Questions for Short-Term Subscribers
- Does Chrome Support Referring URLs?
- Availability Facet in the Law Journal Library
- Mastheads and Front Matter in Journals
- Can I change my HeinOnline username and password?
- Can users delete their MyHein accounts?
- Language Facet in the Law Journal Library
- What is the EZproxy stanza for HeinOnline?
- Law Journal Library Quick Reference Guide
- How To Download Author Profile Citation Data From the Law Journal Library
- How to Search in the Sources of Compiled Legislative Histories Database
- Helpful Features in HeinOnline
- CASA Enabled in HeinOnline
- Citations in HeinOnline
- How to Receive Title Alerts Via MyHein
- How to Use Boosting in a Search Query
- How to Create eTOC Alerts
- What are the definitions of the content section types in HeinOnline?
- Are the URLs in HeinOnline persistent?
- Does HeinOnline support Open URL resolvers such as SFX?
- How do I contact HeinOnline support?
- Is Endnote compatible with HeinOnline?
- Does HeinOnline supply cataloging records?
- PDF shows up as a placeholder icon in browser. How can I fix this?
- When I download a PDF article it results in a blank page and/or blank screen. How can I fix this?
- How to Construct a URL to a Specific Citation Using an Open URL Resolver
- Five Things You Can Do in Less Than 15 Seconds in HeinOnline
- U.S. Federal Legislative History Library Quick Reference Guide
- Student-Edited, Peer-Edited, and Refereed Journals
- Infinite Scrolling
- HeinOnline Law Journal Library Indexed by Google Scholar
- Downloading, Printing, and Sharing Documents (Video)
- Image Toolbar (Video)
- Navigating HeinOnline Databases (Video)
- Searching by Citation (Video)
- Searching from the Welcome Page (Video)
- Exploring the HeinOnline Interface (Video)
- Exploring the Welcome Page (Video)
- Logging Into HeinOnline (Video)
- eTOC Alerts in HeinOnline (Video)
- What is HeinOnline?
- Top Tips Every Researcher Should Know
- Getting Started in HeinOnline
- HeinOnline Comprehensive User’s Guide