- HeinOnline Databases
- Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)
- How do I refine my search and build a multi-term search query in the CFR?
How do I refine my search and build a multi-term search query in the CFR?
When searching for a title number or name, part number or name, or even a section, you could get several hits in your search results because a title or part appears several times in multiple volumes across multiple years. Therefore, it is best to refine your search as best as you can, to target the results.
In the below examples, we will search for the section 160.204 in Title 33, Part 160 that displays the inclusion of Ammonium Nitrate in the Definitions. We know the final rule was in place during 2005, thus we’ll narrow our search to 2005.
Begin by using the Advanced Search option at the top of the main page.
You can also search using the Full Text tab at the top of the main page. From here you would type part:160 AND text:”ammonium nitrate” AND text:160.204 AND title:33 and hit the search button.
Once you have your results, you can narrow down tot he year 2005 using the date facets on the left side.
Was this article helpful?
- How to Use the CFR Locator Tools (Video)
- One-Box Searching (Video)
- One-Box Searching
- How to Use the Venn Diagram Search (Video)
- How to Search Across Multiple Databases
- How to Search Across Multiple Databases (Video)
- How to Locate a Title in HeinOnline
- How to Locate a Title in HeinOnline (Video)
- How to Manage Your HeinOnline Search History
- How to Manage Your HeinOnline Search History (Video)
- How to Use Fuzzy Searching
- How to Save Search Queries in MyHein
- Frequently Asked Questions for Short-Term Subscribers
- How to Locate the Text of a Public Law Using Its Popular Name in U.S. Statutes at Large
- How To Locate the Text of a Public Law Using the U.S. Federal Legislative History Database
- How to Locate the Text of a Public Law Using Its Popular Name (Video)
- Availability Facet in the Law Journal Library
- Venn Diagram Search
- Using Proximity Connectors
- Searching for a Digital Object Identifier (DOI) Number in HeinOnline
- Proximity Searching Using w/
- Bold Matching Text
- Language Facet in the Law Journal Library
- Law Journal Library Quick Reference Guide
- Email Selected Catalog Search Results
- How to Search in the Sources of Compiled Legislative Histories Database
- How to Search in National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws
- How To Search in World Constitutions Illustrated
- How to Search for Restatements in the American Law Institute Library
- Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing Tools in HeinOnline
- How to Use Boosting in a Search Query
- How to Search the Supplement Volumes of the US Code to Determine if Changes Were Made Since the Last Bound Volume
- U.S. Code Citation Locator
- How Do I Search for a Congressional Hearing?
- How to Search in Subject Compilations of State Laws
- CFR Sections Affected
- Federal Rules of Evidence
- Five Things You Can Do in Less Than 15 Seconds in HeinOnline
- How to Find a Preamble in the Federal Register
- Infinite Scrolling
- HeinOnline Law Journal Library Indexed by Google Scholar
- Congressional Hearings Quick Finder (Video)
- Refining and Building Search Queries (Video)
- Search by Rollcall Vote (Video)
- Search by Bill Number (Video)
- Navigating HeinOnline Databases (Video)
- Catalog Searching (Video)
- Searching from the Welcome Page (Video)
- HeinOnline Welcome Page (Video)
- Top Tips Every Researcher Should Know
- Code of Federal Regulations
- Getting Started in HeinOnline
- Searching 101
- Using Advanced Search Syntax
- HeinOnline Comprehensive User’s Guide
- Using Syntax and Field Searching in the Main Full Text Search Bar
- Can I search in a foreign language in IFLP?
- What is the difference between the two search options, Search IFLP Metadata and Search IFLP Print Edition?
- How to Search for Chapters Within Collections of Essays in IFLP
- How to Search by a Foreign Language in IFLP