- HeinOnline Databases
- Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)
- How do I refine my search and build a multi-term search query in the CFR?
How do I refine my search and build a multi-term search query in the CFR?
When searching for a title number or name, part number or name, or even a section, you could get several hits in your search results because a title or part appears several times in multiple volumes across multiple years. Therefore, it is best to refine your search as best as you can, to target the results.
In the below examples, we will search for the section 160.204 in Title 33, Part 160 that displays the inclusion of Ammonium Nitrate in the Definitions. We know the final rule was in place during 2005, thus we’ll narrow our search to 2005.
Begin by using the Advanced Search option at the top of the main page.
You can also search using the Full Text tab at the top of the main page. From here you would type part:160 AND text:”ammonium nitrate” AND text:160.204 AND title:33 and hit the search button.
Once you have your results, you can narrow down tot he year 2005 using the date facets on the left side.
Was this article helpful?
- Using Proximity Connectors
- Searching for a Digital Object Identifier (DOI) Number in HeinOnline
- Proximity Searching Using w/
- Bold Matching Text
- Language Facet in the Law Journal Library
- Law Journal Library Quick Reference Guide
- Email Selected Catalog Search Results
- How to Search in the Sources of Compiled Legislative Histories Database
- How to Search in National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws
- How To Search in World Constitutions Illustrated
- How to Search for Restatements in the American Law Institute Library
- Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing Tools in HeinOnline
- How to Use Boosting in a Search Query
- How to Search the Supplement Volumes of the US Code to Determine if Changes Were Made Since the Last Bound Volume
- U.S. Code Citation Locator
- How Do I Search for a Congressional Hearing?
- How to Search in Subject Compilations of State Laws
- CFR Sections Affected
- Federal Rules of Evidence
- Five Things You Can Do in Less Than 15 Seconds in HeinOnline
- How to Find a Preamble in the Federal Register
- Infinite Scrolling
- HeinOnline Law Journal Library Indexed by Google Scholar
- Congressional Hearings Quick Finder
- Refining and Building Search Queries
- Search by Rollcall Vote
- Search by Bill Number
- Navigating HeinOnline Databases
- Catalog Searching
- Searching from the Welcome Page
- Citations on a Page
- HeinOnline Welcome Page
- Top Tips Every Researcher Should Know
- Code of Federal Regulations
- Getting Started in HeinOnline
- Searching 101
- Tim’s Tricks
- Advanced Search Syntax
- HeinOnline Comprehensive User’s Guide
- Using Syntax and Field Searching in the Main Full Text Search Bar
- Can I search in a foreign language in IFLP?
- What is the difference between the two search options, Search IFLP Metadata and Search IFLP Print Edition?
- How to Search for Chapters Within Collections of Essays in IFLP
- How to Search by a Foreign Language in IFLP
- How to Search by Jurisdiction in IFLP
- Searching for Foreign Law in IFLP
- Search by Author in IFLP
- Searching 101
- Search All United Nations Publications
- I see a citation to another work (such as the Federal Register, Statutes at Large or CFR), how can I view the cited material?
- Search for a Resolution in U.S. Statutes at Large
- Search for a Treaty by Nation in U.S. Statutes at Large
- Search for an Indian Treaty by Tribe in U.S. Statutes at Large
- Search by Public Law Number in U.S. Statutes at Large
- Search for a Member of Congress by Name in U.S. Congressional Documents
- How do I refine a search in the U.S. Congressional Documents?
- Where can I find help for using HeinOnline?
- How do I Search and Use Boolean Operators?
- How do I Search for a specific date, page number, and term in the Congressional Record?
- Search by the Title Number in United States Code