- Using and Searching the Federal Register in HeinOnline (30 min)
- How to Find Regulatory Agendas in the Federal Register After the Fall of 2007
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I view the number index for a Federal Register volume without going back to the index listing?
- How do I find Regulatory Agendas in the Federal Register after the Fall of 2007?
- How do I print a Specific Section or Document Within the Federal Register?
- How do I search Across a Specific Day in the Federal Register?
- How do I use the List of Sections Affected (LSA) to Determine if a Federal Regulation is Current or to Understand the History?
- How do I narrow my search to a specific date and page in the Federal Register?
Search Syntax for Searching the Federal Register Publication
The following table displays the search fields that are available when searching across just the Federal Register. The syntax is the text you would use when building a search. The example illustrates how the syntax is used in a search query. NOTE: The Federal Register is only indexed to each day, it is not indexed to the Agency level. Therefore, when searching across the Federal Register you must search the full text and/or narrow to a specific day using the section description field (see example below).
|Section Description||description||description:”Tuesday January 4, 2011″|
|Full Text||text||text:”Clean Air Act”|
If you wish to narrow your search to a range of years or an entire year, use the date fields provided below the title listing on the search form and insert a begin year and an end year.
Search Syntax for Searching the Other Publications in the Library
The following table displays the search fields that are available when searching in the Federal Register Library. The syntax is the text you would use when building a search. The example illustrates how the syntax is used in a search query.
|Volume Title||voltitle||voltitle:”United States Government Manual”|
|Section Title||title||title:”Boards, Committees and Commissions”|
|Section Description||description||description:”Executive Agencies”|
|Full Text||text||text:”Boston Edison Company”|
- Federal Register Document Number
- Release Number
- Agency Docket Number
- File Number
- RIN (Regulation Identification) Number
- Agency Name & Keyword(s)
- Keyword(s) on a specific page number